Serve of the Board of Directors or Supervisory Committee.
Volunteer to serve on the Board of Directors or Supervisory Committee
Credit Unions are not-for-profit cooperatives owned by their members, with a Board of Directors who oversee the operations — not a highly paid group of outside stockholders. This unique philosophy is what sets your credit union apart from other financial institutions and, without a volunteer Board of Directors, we would not be able to provide low-cost services.
If you’d like to be more involved with your credit union and have a strong desire to help Trailhead Credit Union continue to succeed and grow, we encourage you to apply for a position on the Board of Directors or Supervisory Committee.
Board of Directors
Each member of the nine-member Board of Directors is elected by the membership to serve a three-year term. The Board sets the policy and directs Management in the overall running of the Credit Union.
- Make strategic decisions regarding the course of action for the Credit Union by establishing objectives, formulating policy and approving goals and programs.
- Set rates on savings and loan products. Establish pricing policy on member services and fees.
- Hire, fire and evaluate the Credit Union’s president.
- Approve pay practices and benefits for Credit Union staff as recommended by management.
- Participate in standing committees as appointed by the Board chair.
- Ensure that the Credit Union meets all federal and state regulations and guidelines.
- Monitor activities of and appointments to the Supervisory Committee.
- Maintain, review and update the Credit Union bylaws.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all Credit Union business.
- Attend and actively participate in monthly Board meetings and the annual planning session.
At the next Annual Meeting of members, held in April of every year, our members will vote on those they wish to represent them on the Board of Directors.
The Supervisory Committee is appointed by the Trailhead Board of Directors and is comprised of volunteers who are member-owners of the Credit Union. Its primary function is to serve as the audit committee of the Credit Union, ensuring that it is soundly managed and that member assets are safeguarded. To fulfill its function, the Committee will monitor and evaluate the quality of credit union finances, operations, and decisions.
- Safeguard Trailhead member assets by initiating ongoing internal and yearly external audits.
- Periodically verify teller cash and member account balances.
- Review Trailhead’s policies, procedures, and operations.
- Review the minutes of meetings held by the Trailhead Board of Directors and standing committees.
- Evaluate Trailhead internal controls and financial position.
- Keep abreast of consumer laws and regulations and determine Trailhead’s compliance with them.
- Collaborate with regulatory examiners during their reviews/exams.
Experience in bookkeeping, accounting, auditing, finance, systems analysis, or documentation review is helpful in this position, as you are responsible for carrying out audit and verification functions.Positions may not always be available, but your interest and information will be kept in a file for possible openings.
Volunteer qualifications for Board of Director and Supervisory Committee positions include:
- Must be a member in good standing.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be bondable by the Credit Union’s fidelity bond company.
- Must authorize a criminal background check and a credit check.
- Must complete a volunteer application (additional requirements listed in application).
Additional qualifications and responsibilities are included in each job description.
If you are interested and would like to submit your name for consideration or if you would like more information, please contact Gail James at [email protected] or 503-220-2592 ext 1105.
To apply, please complete this application and mail to:
Trailhead Credit Union
Attn: Gail James
221 NW Second Ave, Ste 100
Portland, Oregon 97209