« Back to support home

What should I do if I am the victim of identity theft?

If you suspect that your personal information has been used to commit fraud or theft, take the following steps right away:

  • Visit the Federal Trade Commissions Identity Theft website at www.identitytheft.gov to file a report and get a recovery plan. They will provide a list of steps to take base on the type of identity fraud you experienced.
  • Contact the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus below and tell them you have been a victim of identity theft. Ask them to place a “fraud alert” in your file, as well as a “victim statement.”
    • Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
    • Experian: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742)
    • TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
  • Contact Trailhead, any other financial institutions you use, and your creditors to protect your accounts and close them if necessary. You may want to report stolen checks to the following agencies:
    • TeleCheck: 800-710-9898
    • Equifax Check Systems: 800-437-5120
    • ChexSystems: 800-428-9623
  • File a report with your local police or the police in the community where the identity theft took place. Keep a copy of the report because you may need it to validate your claims to creditors.
  • Report stolen mail to your local postal inspector at 503-279-2060.
  • Report your incident to the Social Security Fraud Hotline at 800-269-0271.

Search for another topic